Old Sacramento State Historic Park is a portion of the Old Sacramento Historic District, a National Landmark. The history of Old Sacramento is a fascinating story that goes back to the earliest years of the California Gold Rush. California State Parks owns and operates a number of original and reconstructed buildings in use for educational exhibits and programs, or as concessions operated by various merchants. From any direction, take Interstate 5 to the J Street exit and follow the signs to the park. Phone (916) 445-7387 for more information.
Picnic tables are available under a ramada at the north end of the Passenger Station, and under the shade of Sycamore trees in front of the Sacramento History Museum. Best access is from the accessible parking located at the intersection of J Street and Front Street. Accessible restrooms are located outside the Passenger Station.
California State Railroad Museum: The museum houses more than 20 restored locomotives and railroad cars, along with thousands of smaller artifacts and a variety of exhibits in its 100,000-square-foot exhibition facility. Museum entry and exhibits, including some historical railroad cars, are accessible. Interior ramps are generally accessible. Elevator access to upper two floors is generally accessible. Restrooms on the main level, in the northwest corner of the museum, are accessible.
Big Four Building: Housing the Stanford Brothers Warehouse and the Huntington & Hopkins Hardware Store on the first floor and the Railroad Museum Library on the second floor, this building was also the first headquarters of the Central Pacific Railroad. The building is generally accessible on the first floor. Aisle space within the Huntington & Hopkins Hardware Store is usable. Second floor rooms are reachable by steep stairs that may require assistance or by arrangement for alternative elevator entry. Accessible restrooms are located in the Railroad Museum, outside the Passenger Station, and at the Freight Depot.
Passenger Station: The station is a reconstruction of the western terminus of America’s first transcontinental railroad circa 1876. It is complete with ticket office, telegraph office, main waiting room, and a separate waiting room for women and children only. Ticketing area and main waiting room are accessible. Restrooms outside of the Passenger Station are accessible.
Freight Depot: The museum’s steam- and diesel-powered excursion trains arrive and depart from this reconstructed late 1800s transcontinental railroad freight station. Departures are on weekends, April through September, hourly 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Special holiday “theme” trains depart on selected weekends October through December. Ticketing area is accessible. Nearby restrooms and drinking fountain are accessible.
B.F. Hastings Building: This 1853 structure housed the owner’s bank, Hastings & Company, and Wells Fargo & Company. It also served as the western terminus for the Pony Express. California’s Supreme Court held sessions here between 1855 and 1869. Today the building houses the Old Sacramento Visitor Center and the Wells Fargo History Museum (operated by Wells Fargo Bank N.A.). Entry into the Old Sacramento Visitor Center is accessible.
Abundant covered parking is available at the main parking structure located at 3rd and J Streets. There are a limited number of metered on-street parking spaces throughout the park, as well as accessible and van accessible parking stalls.